Saturday, June 9, 2012

Aerial Yoga at Allure Dance Studio


I've been rather steadfastly attending bikram/hot yoga classes at my local studio, but I've never been the type to turn down a chance to try something new.  I started a google search for ashtanga and happened across Yoga Girls Orlando and saw that they offered aerial hammock yoga.  A few years back I tried aerial silks and was less than stellar at it, but I'm fitter now and really enjoy yoga so I sent out a call to my girlfriends to see if any of them were interested.  Well word has gotten around of my friend's near death experience (slight exaggeration she's from Kentucky so you know they embellish a bit in the deep south) when she accompanied me to bikram so I wasn't very surprised when I didn't have anyone volunteer to come along.  No biggie.  I'm a big girl I threw  on my big girl knickers and called the number on the site to ask about booking the class.

The receptionist that answered explained that the class I was looking at was intermediate and she suggested for the first time out of the gate to try a beginner's class.  She was upbeat, friendly, and very helpful.  She signed me up and sent me a confirmation email.  I even received a reminder email the day before class, which is always appreciated.  My husband and I were going to have a busy day running errands together so he dropped me off and I was on my way.  The website suggested long yoga pants and at least 3/4 quarter sleeves.  I wore a tank and that seemed fine.  I had a long sleeve top just in case.  After signing the usual forms and disclaimers I  walked a bit through the studio where they offer pole fitness classes at the "sister" or parent company Allure Dance Orlando.  The studio was small, but very pretty and feminine without being pink frosting sweet.  Actually the best way to describe the studio was sensual, dark wood floors, and accents that were rich deep hues.  I then went and sat down near the front of the yoga door entrance until class started, where luck would have it I got to chat with the instructor.

Bow pose 



She was of course adorable, but very knowledgeable and again offered a lot of advice and information.  She trained as an aerialist silk performer and from there became yoga certified so it seemed a natural marriage to start teaching aerial yoga.  When we walked into the yoga studio it was again sensual, but serene.  The colors were a bit brighter, more zen, and the silks were suspended from the ceiling.  The instructor made sure to explain that the silks were extremely strong and could withhold up to 2000 lb.  Not sure if that is true because I was the biggest girl in the class so I highly doubt that theory has been tested.  Neither here nor there, we were able to get complimentary mats if we didn't bring one (for some reason I didn't think a mat would be needed but well I was wrong) and we went through a series of flow yoga positions to warm up, we then went into inversions and continued there through traditional yoga poses with the assistance of the hammock/silk to help us achieve better stretches.  We ended the class with relaxation and mediation.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that I was able to relax more in the hammock than I ever have in any other yoga class.  It felt natural, cocooning, and protective.  I would love to have one for home.  I could easily see myself enjoying a nap in those things.

I could seriously sleep in the cocoon hammock thing


I will definitely be going back and I would definitely suggest the class to anyone who wants to try something a bit different.  It was a fantastic core work out and feel that it would be beneficial to add to any fitness routine.  

I do want to very much add.  In going through their website I didn't see the special note.  I'll include it here. Do NOT do what I did and have espresso and breakfast about 45 min before class.

Special Note :* Food: it is not recommended to eat least 2 hours before class time. If you must eat during that time, try eating lightly and eating easily digested food such as fresh fruit. What to Bring: Hand towel or similar Yoga mat (we have limited mats in the studio so feel free to bring your own or we have some for purchase in the boutique.



I did not toss my cookies, BUT I easily could have if I would have eaten something a bit heavier.  On that note...has anyone tried aerial yoga?  If not, Allure is running a special for the first class only $9.  Send me a message, I'd love to go again, if you are interested!


No comments:

Post a Comment